Buying products made from recycled materials is a great way to reduce waste and support sustainable production practices.
When you buy products made from recycled materials, you are supporting other environmentalists just like you who believe that we can save the planet by making wise consumer choices.
- Start by researching brands that make products from recycled materials. Look for companies that are committed to sustainability and have a good reputation for producing high-quality, durable products.
- When shopping, check the product labels to see if they are made from recycled materials. Many products will have a label that indicates they are made from recycled materials or the percentage of recycled content they contain.
- Some products may carry a certification from third-party organizations such as the Forest Stewardship Council or the Cradle to Cradle Certified program. These certifications ensure that the product meets certain environmental and social standards.
- Look for products that are packaged in environmentally friendly materials such as recycled paper or cardboard, or that use minimal packaging.
- Whenever possible, buy products made from recycled materials from local businesses. This helps to reduce the environmental impact of shipping and supports the local economy.
- Consider the environmental impact of the product that you buy, its durability and lifespan, and whether it can be recycled or composted at the end of its life. By making informed choices, you can help to reduce waste and support sustainable production practices.
What Can be Made from Recycled Materials
There are numerous items that can be made from recycled materials.
Recycled Waste Paper
Paper is one of the most commonly recycled materials and can be used to make a wide range of products, including recycled paper, cardboard, tissue paper, and paperboard
Brands like Dixie and Solo, the makers of paper plates, cups, and eating utensils, make it easy to buy recycled. The brands offer coupons often on their products, and none of their materials contain CFC’s, a hazardous material given off by Styrofoam.
You can find smaller cups and plates that are made partially from recycled materials, and you can rinse your plastic ware before placing it in the recycle bin so that it can be used again to make more plates, cups, and other picnic accessories.
If you are a coffee drinker and need to get your fix in the mornings, you can visit your local Starbucks to purchase your coffee in a partially recycled cup. The cupholders are also made from recycled paper, so you will be glad to know that you are doing your part to save the environment while you get your morning jolt.
Recycled plastic can be used to make a variety of products, including –
- Plastic bottles and containers for various products, such as water bottles, milk jugs, and food containers.
- Bags and packaging such as shopping bags, food packaging, and shipping envelopes.
- Recycled plastic can be turned into polyester fabric for clothing and other textile products, such as jackets, backpacks, and upholstery.
- Outdoor products such as playground equipment, park benches, and picnic tables.
- Building materials like lumber, decking, and fencing.
- Recycled plastic can be used to make car parts, such as dashboards, bumpers, and fenders.
- Used plastic that has been recycled can be used to make new electronic products, such as computer parts and cell phone cases.
Overall, recycled plastic can be used to make a wide range of products, and the possibilities continue to expand as recycling technology advances.
Computer and Electronic Recycled Materials
You can even buy recycled when it comes to electronics. People purchase recycled computers all the time to find parts in the machines that are still suitable for use.
You can visit your local recycling center to find printers, ink cartridges, mouse pads, and keyboards that can be used again with a little refurbishing, and you can even take your empty cartridges to stores like Staples or Office Depot to get discounts on new office supplies.
Cellular phone companies, like Verizon and Sprint, may also take your used cellphones for charity events, or to restore them and use the parts for creating new models.
Recycled Materials Packaging
Of course, there are a good deal of health food stores where you can buy recycled items on every aisle.
Places like Whole Foods Market and Trader Joe’s package many of their products in recycled paper, and when you get ready to check out, you will most likely be asked if you want a paper or plastic bag. There are also shopping bags you can buy at the stores (so-called Bags for Life) to use over and over, so that you can cut down on paper and plastic production.
If you want to know more about how to buy products made from recycled materials, you can visit sites like CalRecycle where you will find resources for all the items you want, whether you are trying to find a new art piece, need electronic items, or are looking for unique jewelry pieces.